Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Monster High live-action: how I'd style the ghouls. Part I: Frankie, Draculaura, Clawdeen

A Monster High live-action has been announced.

And i'm not talking about the one we all already know, the low budget Nickelodeon made.


It's been announced recently that a much higher budget one is in the works at Universal, with Akiva Goldsman writing the script. I'm not going into details because very little is known about it at the moment and it's not my aim to be some kind of news channel: my idea today is to give a few ideas, kinda like moodboards of how i'd style the ghouls myself. I'm gonna base it on the G1 (as it is probably the generation the new movie is gonna be based off).

Before I start, I'm gonna say this is going to be quite long probably. I'm gonna make different parts for the ghouls, as doing it in only one post would probably be eternal.

And as a final warning, again, these are my own ideas. I'm gonna be giving them a little twist based on my taste. They could probably just recreate in human scale their exact outfits in the G1 and that'd be great; but if it was my decision I'd style them this way, taking inspo from the ghouls themselves and real life fashion trends I think would fit them.


FRANKIE STEIN

We don't know the plot or anything about it yet, but if it were to be mainly based off G1 Frankie taking again the lead role could be a safe bet. So I'm gonna start with her (assuming she'd be using female pronouns like in the G1, though if they mixed up here and there nice details from the G3 like Frankie being nb I'd be delighted; that's on another topic, though.)

CLOTHES





A more preppy, classical uniform with a little punk tint would be the perfect and safest bet for her first look. Again, I'm gonna be treating this movie as if it's following a G1 plotline for simplicity. So let's say, Frankie being just a couple of weeks old and a brand new student at Monster High wouldn't have much of a fashion sense yet. Just sticking to the typical student uniform.




And of course her iconic salt and pepper hair. A bit conservative at first though, just pin straight with not too much going on. Maybe a cute and simple clip or headband as if like she was trying to keep it neat and styled.

Now, as the movie goes on, ideally I picture her discovering and forming her identity. Frankie definitely would follow a punk aesthetic, though I think she'd totally keep her preppy essence. I'd also give her a lot of more androgynous looks, favouring long pants. Of course she'd always have something plaid and following a scheme of blues-greens-reds in very dark and not too bright tones. 





Definitely lots of layering and accessories to symbolize how much she loves to experiment with different prints and textures. I also think it could be essential to her character to be always thrifting and looking to give new lives to old clothes, lots of mix and match and patchwork everywhere.








If we take a more high couture moment, I definitely see Frankie as a Vivienne Westwood girlie. Fits her brand perfectly!



For accessories, she sure goes for a lot of chains, silver jewelry shaped like wires, nuts, safety pins...



As for her hair, I think Frankie would love to experiment with layers and textures. I can totally picture her rocking all kind of lengths, going for shags or mullets frequently.



And some fun and crazy hairstyles, like these braids with pins tangled in.


Something like this for a high fashion look would be very cool:


For more ideas, you can check my Frankie moodboard on Pinterest.


DRACULAURA

Now, in contrast to Frankie's naiveness and curiosity about the world we have a ghoul who's much more experienced and has a much more shaped brand. We all know her. The girl in pink. The romantic one. THE Draculaura.

I wouldn't have her style evolve as the movie goes, but more of just a showoff of her exquisite taste. As a vampire she surely favors lace and frills, nice fabrics, silk and lots of layers but with a more chic, feminine twist. I would also take clear inspiration from J-fashion subcultures, mostly lolita. Her usual shape would be cinched waists, poofy skirts and some corsets, with long and bell sleeves.






This one just screams her.

Of course, lots of bows and hearts too. And bat motives. For shoes she's the kind of girl who's always wearing heels to me. Also boots with clear victorian inspiration.


These in pink would be cute...






I also see her as the kind of girl who always wears skirts, but wouldn't say no to a pair of pants if they're cute and worth enough:




For accessories, she totally goes for a full vampire moment going in the line of victorian-esque necklaces and earrings. To give it a darker and edgier vibe, I'd also go for something bloody like this perfect pearl necklace:



Something like this but with small portraits of her, or her father...



Headgear — for a more sophisticated and mature twist, I think romantic veils would be a very nice touch to her.



And for hair, of course keeping her black and pink streaks. Also experimenting with different combinations of it, like half and half (like her G3 counterpart).



Or something like this, with just a hidden pink layer underneath!


That's for coloring, though. Hairstyle wise, I'd go for a cross between more juvenile and simple looks like her staple twintails...


...or much more elaborated and intricated looks, making her look like a true victorian vampire princess (or queen).





That's pretty much it for Draculaura. For more ideas, check in here.


CLAWDEEN WOLF

The fiercest fashionista around Monster High and the third of the fan favorite trio. Clawdeen's style comes to me in a very natural way — she had just enough elements in G1 to have a perfect idea of her wardrobe.






Purples, greens, lots of gold around. Animal print, fur, jewelry, moon and stars motifs are a perfect choice for her too.

I love the idea of Clawdeen wearing glasses when she's focused on a task, like drawing or styling. With the strong comeback of Y2K fashion, i think the now so called "Bayonetta glasses" (just the square and slim shape that was so strong around in the 2000s) would compliment her so well without losing a bit of her style.



She sure loves her coats with lots of fur and animal print.





Also a thrifting girlie for me, but also wears a lot of her own made clothes. For shoes she sure goes for a lot of styles and could rock even the tallest stiletto or a comfortable but stylish pair of sneakers. Also loves her high boots — even better if they're trimmed with fur!





For jewelry, as I said, gold and moon or star motifs are her go-to. Also loves studs.





For hair, she'd totally be a wig girlie. Always experimenting and looking for new textures, lengths, shapes and colours. She'd love a purple or green hair moment, but would also rock her natural afro or wear the most gorgeous braids.





Maybe even tinsel in, for an extra and sparkly look.



And here for more.

That's pretty much it for this first part. I fear the post is gonna be already super long, but hopefully a light read (as most of it it's just pictures). I had actually a lot of fun, so expect soon a second part featuring Cleo, Lagoona and Ghoulia to complete the main six! See you!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this kind of posts, it's so original. I think that you have catched the essence of the ghouls perfectly, I would die for see that movie with all those outfits. My favorite is Frankie style, but the bloody necklace for Draculaura and the afro for Clawdeen are stunning.
    Sorry about my terrible english.. again xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably any native (or just with a better english level) than me will cry once they read my posts... xD

      I hope they don't mess up, G1 did an AMAZING job defining perfectly the style of each ghoul. I actually think the Nickelodeon movies didn't do a bad job at all characterizing each of them despite the lower budgets, there's a lot of very good looks (I love most of Frankie's, for example). So with even a higher budget, I have high hopes!

      Delete